Thursday, October 3, 2013

Marketing in Disguise: L.L. Bean

It was during the early hours of October 1st when I first noticed a turning of the page in the marketing playbook. Banners for cold and flu medication occupied the ad space in my web browser. This observation made me realize that fall is here and behind it lurks cold, wet weather.

I continued my morning's surf of the web and came across what I think is one of the most brilliant examples of marketing that I've seen in some time. This article about L.L. Bean boots that was posted in Wired’s Gadget Lab highlights the history, performance and affordability of this iconic footwear.

Marketing in disguise!
What’s the opposite of that old 'forest for the trees' idiom? This article is a press release is sheep's clothing. It's apparent that someone in need of a seasonal product push at L.L. Bean knew someone in need of relevant content at Wired. Applause for both of these someones for maximizing their professional connections.

There's a lot of respectable marketing maneuvers in play here, something that I've come to expect from the team at L.L. Bean. Remember the Bootmobile?


No comments:

Post a Comment