Thursday, June 26, 2014

Scratch Off Advertisements


A big part of marketing is positioning your message where it can be seen. As featured in a previous post, a bus stop makes for prime positioning. Well, the bar for bus stop marketing has been raised again, thanks to scratch-off advertising.

I came across this April 2014 article on TrendHunter and I have to say that this technique really intrigued me. Part of me really likes the newness of this idea but another part of me would be hesitant to utilize scratch-off advertising due to pranksters that would inflict their crude humor onto my ad.

I wanted to share some video of this bus stop or similar use of scratch-off advertising but I had no luck finding such footage. In my search, I came across posts from several other websites that highlighted this same bus stop.


They all used the same photo (below) and were all from February of 2014.

Photo by Nathan Keay, courtesy of MCA Chicago

Is this lazy journalism or just an odd coincidence?

Neither, actually. Each post credits the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago as the source of this and other photos. That fact makes it clear to see that these posts are all publicity pieces for the museum. But why the gap between February and April? That’s probably because the April feature was meant to be a last-minute push for the exhibit that’s being promoted at the bus stop, which ended on May 4th, 2014.

Scratch-off advertising like this is a little too bold for me but I do like the “hidden feature” aspect with the QR codes. If you know of any other examples of this technique, please send them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment