Thursday, August 22, 2013

Best Use of Google+ Pages by Brands


Google+ is making up a lot of lost ground in the social media world and its presence is growing by the day as more people migrate from Facebook. Brands are noticing this growth and although Google+ is still a strange and unfamiliar place for some, there are some brands that are off to a great start. Here are a few examples of the best use of Google+ pages by brands.

FOOD NETWORK (3,328,087 +1’s)

I love to eat but I’m not a foodie by any stretch of the imagination. I don’t cook and I never watch Food Network programming on television. I’m only familiar with Food Network’s Google+ page because I needed to add to my list of pages that I was following during my early days of Google+. But Food Network’s Google+ page has become one of my favorite pages!

What the Food Network page does right:
  • Does a great job of posting attention-getting photos
  • Takes full advantage of the large cover photo space to promote Food Network programming
PBS (947,022 +1’s)

I keep track of PBS on other social media outlets and, for the most part, all of their messages remain constant across the board. However, it seems to me that PBS’s liberal side is shown a little more freely on occasion through the PBS Google+ page. But that’s not why I consider this page to be so entertaining.

What the PBS page does right:
  • Shares video clips from the wide range of PBS programming
  • “Stirs the pot” by asking questions and interacting with PBS followers
ROLLING STONE (957,452 +1’s) 

The Rolling Stone Google+ page is probably the magazine’s best use of social media to show that Rolling Stone is about more than just music. I may not always agree with the writers and editors but from a brand standpoint, the Rolling Stone Google+ page really gets it.

What the Rolling Stone page does right:
  • Features lots of great photography from covers and concerts in posts
  • Doesn’t skimp on the content; mounds of links back to their web articles (past and recent)
BONUS! 

He doesn’t have a page per se but with 723,783 followers, Marques Brownlee is doing wonders for his personal brand with his Google+ profile. Never heard of Brownlee? Me neither – until I came across his profile much the same way I discovered Food Network’s Google+ page. I’m about as much of a techie as I am a foodie but I’m really impressed with MKBHD’s passion for sharing his knowledge about the latest phones, tablets and other technology.

What Marques Brownlee does right:
  • Posts extremely well-made product review videos from his YouTube channel
  • He’s not all business; his techie humor comes into play frequently
I can’t wait to see how these and other brands take the use of Google+ pages to the next level. Thanks for reading and please be sure to let me know your favorite Google+ pages in the comments!

 (PS - I wrote an entire post about Google+ and almost forgot to ask you to add me to your circles!)

No comments:

Post a Comment