Thursday, November 21, 2013

More is Less for Napa's TV Ads



The old saying that "more is less" can really go both ways, I suppose. I mean...it wouldn't be a bad thing to have more money but maybe the increased taxes, relatives that emerge from the woodwork and other problems associated with increased wealth would contribute to having less sanity.

This saying came to mind when I recently saw NAPA's latest television commercial during a college football game:


Now watch one of the ads that NAPA ran in the last few years and let’s make some MORE / LESS comparisons.


MORE
  • NAPA definitely has more advertising money to work with as they've hired Patrick Warburton to do a manly voice-over.
  • There’s more silence in this year’s ad. It’s very awkward and very unlike the previous ads that have featured musical jingles.
  • There’s more specific NAPA product placement in this newer ad too. 
LESS
  • There’s less of that jingle that everyone either loved or hated in the new crop of ads.
  • The newer ad makes less of a memorable impression.
  • I've heard less “street chatter” about the new ad. Last football season, the NA-NA-NA-NAPA jingle could be heard recited all the time.
I consider the 2013 NAPA ads to be of high quality and they do a great job of representing NAPA’s brand. I’m sure they’ll positively influence some purchase decisions too. But did MORE mean LESS for NAPA television ads? It seems that way. Maybe it’s just me but I prefer the earlier ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment