Thursday, January 18, 2018

This Isn't the End!


Two posts.

Wow.

I managed to only write a whopping two posts in 2017. Now that the dawn of 2018 has already passed, if I were to make some claim about doing better this year, I feel like you would see right through it.

I wouldn’t blame you.

So let’s not even go there. I haven’t accomplished enough to bow out as graciously as the Birmingham Blogging Academy but I’m here to tell you that life certainly gets in the way, man.

This won’t be my last entry but you and I should temper those expectations of an increased frequency of posts. Working, trying to be a helpful spouse, parenting, yard work and other to-dos really eats up the hours.

I feel good about getting this off my chest. I don’t want to stop blogging but blogging can’t be a priority for me these days. Being in this situation makes for a good opportunity to revisit the reasons why I began this blog.

First, I felt (and still feel) that posting regularly keeps one’s writing muscles nimble. I believe that well-written content is extremely valuable, even though video seems to be the go-to for quick, self-education. If you are a marathoner, you need to stay in shape for the next race, right? Writers need to have that same mindset, in my opinion.

Secondly, I wanted this blog to share my observations about communications with employers and colleagues – sort of a way to say I know what’s useful and what’s pointless. More often than not, I found it easier to critique than compliment (what does that say about me as a person?!). In fact, if I could dive into some research, I’d love to answer:

  • Why are radio station websites are so poorly designed? 
  • Is that Addiction Network cable TV commercial tacky or pure genius? 
  • Who are the consumers that sustain the need for robo-dialers and telemarketers? 

I have so many other weird questions on my mind, too.



Remember when using Twitter was referred to as a micro blogging? I’ve always tried to mask my late timing and lack of cleverness with scheduled tweets about digital advertising. If I can no longer blog regularly, maybe I can be a more spontaneous tweeter? I’ll give that a shot. I’ll try to give my followers a true look at me and scale back on the boring work-related stuff. Hold me to this claim – look for the changes at @Nick_Baggett.

Thank you very much for reading and please do drop me a line sometime. I’ll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment