Saturday, May 9, 2020

A Coronavirus Quarantine Post: Cliff Huxtable's Jazz Collection


So it's taken a global pandemic for me to write my first post since 2018. Wow.

I'm in my 8th week of working from home. I am being very productive for my job but I do have an itch to write about non-work stuff. I usually write about communications or advertising on this blog - but not today! Nope, today I will be taking you on a rambling, rabbit trail of thoughts that center around my newfound appreciation for jazz.

I'll start with some background on how I began listening to jazz. In November of 2019, just before Thanksgiving, I began cleaning up our garage. This included getting rid of clutter, implementing better organization and painting walls. The painting actually required the most time and I passed that time by listening to music.

My free, ad-supported Pandora account was the preferred source of music. Because I was painting at night and didn't "feel" any of the the tailored stations I've built, I decided to give Pandora's Jazz Radio a try.

I was instantly pleased. The music's rhythm helped me establish a good working pace and I was finished with the project in no time.

I moved away from jazz during the holidays in favor of Christmas tunes by Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Perry Como and others. Pandora was a big help here, too.

When we were taking down our 2019 Christmas tree (probably sometime after January 1, 2020), I stopped for a break and flipped through the TV channels. I noticed that one cable network was airing an episode of The Cosby Show. 

 I though it was remarkable that any network would take on Bill Cosby after...well, you know. (Turns out that this network, TV One, is the only network doing so since May 2017).

My cable box's description of the episode explained that Cliff (Bill Cosby's character) is repeatedly forced to venture to a store during a rainstorm to retrieve items needed for Thanksgiving dinner. I thought the timing of this episode was interesting since we just finished the holiday season.

As I watched the episode though, it became clear that this was not a Thanksgiving episode. This episode did not match the cable box description at all. In this episode, the parents of Denise's husband visit the Huxtable home. At one point Cliff and Denise's father-in-law retreat to the Huxtable's basement, where Cliff's record collection is kept.



This scene reminded me of my recently-acquired appreciation for jazz. It also reminded me that I've always noticed Bill Cosby's inclusion of jazz and jazz artists in all of his work - from his Fat Albert cartoon to the music and guests featured in episodes of The Cosby Show. I learned about more examples of his support from this KUVO public radio article.

I watched this scene over and over, trying to recognize the artists in the collection. From what I can catch, he mentions:

  • Hawkins (I believe he means Coleman Hawkins)
  • Perez or Prez (My research makes me think this is a reference to Lester Young, whose nickname is Pres or Prez)
  • Ahmad Jamal (well-known jazz pianist and supposedly who Malcolm-Jamal Warner - who played Theo Huxtable - is named after)
  • Louis Armstrong (everyone knows him)

Joe Kendall (Denise's father-in-law) then acknowledges some of the artists in the collection. He mentions Coltrane (for John Coltrane) and something else I can decipher before questioning Cliff's knowledge of a Lester "Motormouth" Sutton album. All of my searches for this artist point back to Lester Young. I wonder if Motormouth was a fictional artist?

So, fast-forward to the COVID-19 quarantine in March of 2020. I'm working from home at my workbench in the before-mentioned garage. I resumed listening to jazz while working and became more familiar with the artists and songs that Pandora played for me

On April 24th, I'm flipping through the TV channels again and I come across the very same episode of The Cosby Show - and it has the same incorrect episode description! I watched that scene numerous times, again, and it made me want to get to the bottom of that incorrect description.

The internet is an amazing research tool, if you haven't already noticed. Here are some facts about that episode:
  • This is episode 10 of season six and is titled, "Grampy and Nu-Nu Visit the Huxtables"
  • It originally aired on November 30, 1989.
  • There's a blog that critiques the wardrobes worn in episodes of The Cosby Show. Check out the post about our mystery episode, written in 2014. Looks like there was some re-purposing of jackets!
  • Episode 10 of season 6 features legendary jazz singer Nancy Wilson, who plays Denise's mother-in-law. Another example of Cosby incorporating a musical guest into the show. She even got to showcase her talent in scene at the very end of the episode.

Check out the title of the above video, if you can. It indicates that the scene is from episode 9 of season 6, not episode 10. 

I did a little more research on a Cosby fandom site and...wouldn't you know? Episode 9 is actually the Thanksgiving episode. It originally aired on November 16, 1989. That was two weeks before our beloved episode 10, which makes sense because Thanksgiving was on November 23rd that year - NBC ran a rerun of The Cosby Show that night. Use this link to see for yourself!

Episode 9 is titled "Cliff's Wet Adventure" and that seems to match more closely to the description given by my cable box. 

Episode 10 and 9 were playing back-to-back when I was watching on April 24th and the cable box description of these episodes was still flipped! It is crazy that these two episode were playing in succession 31 years after they originally aired. It's also crazy how I noticed the backwards cable box descriptions when watching episode 10 twice in a span of a few months. 

This concludes the rabbit trail research. My appreciation for jazz continues - I'm still listening Pandora Jazz Radio during the quarantine. I would say that Grazing in the Grass by Hugh Masekela is typical of a jazz song that I like...lots of trumpet or sax and no vocals. Enjoy the song below and let me know what other artists I should check out!


Oh, one more thing. I can't pass up the chance to link to another post I wrote that mentioned Bill Cosby. It is so amazing that he was once so in-demand as a spokesman and is now an 82-year-old man pleading to be released from prison due to a fear of contracting the coronavirus. Crazy times.

No comments:

Post a Comment