Thursday, March 6, 2014

Wasted Videos: The Tacoma Ads


I drive a Toyota Tacoma. An old Toyota Tacoma. Although I'm not quite ready to taken on an upgrade, I enjoy perusing the Toyota website and observing the features of the latest Tacomas. The website is very helpful - I've learned a lot about the new models and the lazy person in me is always glad to see that not all of the information is text and copy. No, there are some very well-made videos available for viewing on the site that do a great job of prolonging my visits.

See for yourself:




The thing that amazed me the most about these videos was the fact that I had never seen them before. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and have performed a lot of Google searches for Tacomas but I have never had any of these videos pop up as a pre-roll advertisement. It's puzzling because these videos are quirky and short - the prototypical video to use in a pre-roll spot. These videos/ads haven't appeared during my short, TV-watching stints either. 
It's clear that Toyota paid for and received high quality videos. But I'm not so sure why the videos are only used on their website. Each of the videos' descriptions on YouTube features a #TacomaWins hashtag, which would strongly indicate that they're part of a campaign that extends to social media. I'll have to begin following the Toyota or Tacoma social media pages to see if I can spot the videos there. If they're not seen there, it will be difficult to resist questioning if these great videos were wasted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment