Friday, March 27, 2015

Is Gender Marketing Needed in Golf?


I like marketing. I like to play golf. When these two interests collide, I take notice. These days, the golf industry’s leading companies have embraced social media, video and the web to promote themselves as more than just makers of equipment. I have previously written about the use of drones in golf marketing as well as the somewhat annoying practice of frequently introducing new equipment. This post is about my favorite golf club manufacturer’s recent announcement regarding their line of women’s clubs.

When PING recently unveiled the new logo for their women's apparel and equipment, my initial observation was the deviation from the company's iconic brand. The PING logo has featured only minute changes since the 70's. The new look has grown on me and I now think this design for the company's Rhapsody line is very fitting. I've also realized that the standard PING logo has never seemed feminine to me.


Gender equality is a long-standing issue and has roots in many facets of life, including sports. It's clear that PING wants to attract the attention of female golfers with the Rhapsody line. But after thinking more about PING's new brand with the concern of equality in mind, I now wonder if female golfers feel this distinction is needed. I'm sure there are some players that prefer the line's feminine colors just as there are some players feel the separation is an admission to being unequal. My first look at the new Rhapsody color scheme reminded me of a Tumblr blog that highlights gender-specific advertising that, in some cases, could be considered offensive.

http://unnecessarilygenderedproducts.tumblr.com/post/102285752796/because-hammers-need-to-be-gender-designated-to-be

PING's competitors all offer clubs that are constructed for female golfers but I have not noticed any of those companies taking the same steps to create an exclusive brand with which female players can identify. I think the new Rhapsody brand is a positive thing and PING has shown it can be supportive without being shameful. However, if sales of Rhapsody clubs are low, it will be interesting to see if the existence of this separation is brought into question.

Thank you for reading! I hope you’ll share your thoughts about PING's decision or equality within the golf club industry in the comment section.

{Top Photo: Courtesy}

No comments:

Post a Comment